Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday Dinners

Growing up we would have lunch at Nanny B's and Papa Alf's house every Sunday. It was so much fun because my family and also my Aunt Katherine, Uncle Mike and cousins, Nikki, Jason and Aaron would come also. Do family's do this anymore?

Clell and I are wanting to start this tradition at our house. It's fun, but I never realized how much work goes into it. Especially if you go to church! (I didn't go today because I am on-call)

Funny thing about Sunday "dinners"....my Dad and I frequently debate....... is dinner lunch? or is dinner supper? I think that dinner is supper and lunch is lunch. :-) He thinks that lunch is dinner and dinner is supper. But I digress....

Did you know that you can make a rotisserie chicken in the crockpot? Yep! No liquid, just put the bird in the crockpot sprinkled with the spices of your choice and it's done approximately 3-4 hours later (depending on your crockpot, cooking time may vary). I put mine on high. You can put it on between 8-9:00 in the morning and when you get home from church dinner....ahem....LUNCH is ready! (I am sure that Nanny B wishes she had known this little secret recipe.....)



I am also cooking asparagus and Central Market's Rosemary demi-baguettes (this bread is DEE-lish and you can get it in the frozen section at HEB). Dessert is Rice-Krispies with sea salt and dark chocolate (you should google this recipe...it's like....Rice-Krispies for grow ups)

It has been a great weekend. Friday we went to FAC (Friday Afternoon Club :-), Saturday we spent time with my Nanny Dean, and Saturday night we to see the Classical Chorus of Chorus Abilene perform Mozart's "Vesperae Solennes de Confessore, K. 339" (try saying that fast!)  LOVED IT!
Great job Dee, Melody, Chris, Merle, and Jessica!

And I want to say a great big THANK YOU to all of you who have sent me texts, calls, emails, etc. about my Mother. You have warmed my heart....I am touched by how many people love my Mother, just as I do.....She had a great weekend by the way. Her and my Dad went to a birthday party AND a retirement party ( no, we don't keep her at home in bubble wrap :-) and they got to visit with lots of folks.

On Friday, her long time best friend, Pat, took Mom to lunch and flower/ plant shopping. I appreciate this because my mother can no longer drive (ouch ouch ouch for us all). Sounds like they had a great time! Hugs to Pat! Thank You!!!

This afternoon I am looking forward to going to have tea at Cliff and Evie Stewart's house. It is a tea for the new memebers of First Central Presbytarian Church....I love love love this church...

Have a Great Sunday Everyone...................

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela, I love your writing and I am glad you are doing a blog. It will be good for you to express yourself this way and for the rest of us to keep up with you better. I am sorry you and your family are on this path and wish you much love and peace as you explore new territory. Being a social worker will give you some skills and insights, but you are right that it is so different when it's your own circumstance! Wish we had all the easy answers! :)

    When my girls were little, we often had Sunday dinners at my (ex) in-laws' house and lots of times my girls' cousins were there, too. It was always a fun time with the kids playing, the adults in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up, and invariably, the guys migrating to the living room for football games on TV. :) I miss the hustle-bustle and hubbub of a crowd now that it's just two of us in remote Alaska with no family in sight. One day I hope to have more of those memories being made with my own grandkids. :) Love you and keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete